Monday, August 15, 2011

An Art Deco snippet on via V. Monti


Happy Ferragosto!

The 15th of August technically is a Catholic religious holiday in Italy--and Thank the Cosmos, because the government has just announced that all public holidays now will be celebrated on the weekends, so no more public holiday long weekends for us, sniff! sniff!--but it also is one of the most important "hinges" on which swings the Italian year.

It's one of the most beloved public holidays,...More......

...and even those stores that more and more are staying open on other holidays wouldn't give up today (unless they're in a town that lives on tourism...they'd stay open on their granny's birthday, but ya' can't blame 'em). A year without being free on Ferragosto is like a year without a vacation, at all!

So, in true Italian spirit, I pushed myself to finish in-progress projects as of yesterday.

Aaaaaaaaaaaah, I got up this morning when I wanted to, putzed around, and around 11 A.M. headed out with my trusty camera, "before it got too hot," I said to myself.

Then, Mad Dogs, Englishmen, Tourists and Me were out in the noon day sun...until 2:30 P.M. By then, I had found a shady park bench conveniently near the watchful eye of a police camera, and actually stretched out, watched the clouds, and even closed my eyes (though I don't think I dropped off), doing nothing, absolutely relaxingly nothing for about an hour...

...then I couldn't stand it any more, so I walked home.

But all along the way, I snapped shots that I'll be sharing with you.

I snapped this shot of an Art Deco architectural decoration on Via Monti with you in mind at around 11:30 A.M.

If you like needlepoint and/or cross-stitch, go to my needlepoint blog, Ars acupicturae stellae - Star's Needlepoint Art, for the free design ready to stitch for your personal, non-commercial fun:

http://arsacupicturaestellae.blogspot.com/2011/08/milan-monday-39-snippet-of-art-deco.html

Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...