Sunday, April 10, 2011

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din, or the 2011 Milan Marathon


I hardly remember anything of the film (except that Cary Grant is in it) in which there is the line "You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din," but that phrase stuck in my memory, and jumps to mind frequently. So many people can do things that I can't, or would never want to do (and maybe find a bit crazy)...running a marathon fits both categories, but I admire the participants, nonetheless. This year's 2011 Milan Marathon began around 8:30 A.M. not too far from the new "Fiera" (Convention Center) in Rho-Pero, and cut almost straight south before zig-zagging back north, past my house (the first I saw started jogging by around 11:30 A.M.), turning again west and south, then ending at the Sforza Castle. The fastest runners already have finished, the stragglers are expected by around 4 P.M....More......

Great day to share with the kids. The solitary, or paired, runners were still coming by at noon...








Traffic, blocked all over town, was a mess, of course. Tempers flared, horns blared, I got an opportunity to observe Italian hand gestures (both the conversational and, shall we say politely, "punctuation" kind...makes me think of the wonderful show "Culture Shock," don't miss it!).







...still in traffic....
















...it took those cars about an hour and a quarter to an hour and a half to inch along to that big intersection in the background of the photo...walking briskly, it takes, oh, maybe five minutes...it wasn't a day to be out and about. Maybe some didn't know (I was lucky, and saw the info posted a couple of days beforehand), maybe some didn't have a choice...I saw people abandoning taxis and tourists dragging suitcases (Thank the Cosmos they all have wheels, these days) in the general direction of the subway, a good 20-30 minute walk under the hot sun...




Meanwhile, the runners began to become more numerous. What an interesting stream of folks, maybe 2/3 men I'd estimate. Some folk looked like marathon runners: sinew skinny. Others, well, didn't. A couple had banners, some had balloons (maybe for charities?!)...






Some stopping now and then for a much needed breather, or to retie a shoe (or both), some looking tired and determined, some looking exhausted and decidedly ill (for privacy's sake, I will not share the photo of the poor gent, who bent over I thought to rest, then, well...you get it...bless his heart...be careful folks, push yourselves, but don't overstep your limits too far...an ambulance was called awhile later to attend to someone else just down the street)....



Some smarties moved out of the street, and into the shade...















Some, like Minnie Mouse, here, were having fun despite the effort (or to help the effort?!)...








Some, even after hours of running, still had enough energy to run backwards, and encourage his buddies...








The courage of other runners...









...to challenge obstacles makes me shake my head with admiration and wonder.










2:15 P.M., the runners are beginning to thin out, and I haven't had lunch, yet.











I bet the neighbor's cat was smarter than me, and ate before coming out to ponder these strange hurried creatures rushing past his balcony.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...